Mary A. Wawrykow fonds
Mary A. Wawrykow, a prominent judge and community leader of Winnipeg, was the first woman of Ukrainian origin to practice law in Canada, and only the third Manitoba woman. She was born in Wakaw, Saskatchewan in 1911. Her parents Mykyta and Anna Zakus had emigrated from Ukraine and settled on the Canadian prairies. Mary graduated from the University of Manitoba Faculty of Law in 1934. She started practicing law in Gimli, Manitoba in 1940. Prior to that, from 1936-1940, she was employed in the Attorney General's Dept. In 1942 she and her husband moved to Winnipeg where she became a prominent figure in the law community. In 1955 she became president of the Women Lawyers Association of Manitoba and was named “Women of the Year” by the Winnipeg Tribune. In 1959 she ran for the Progressive Conservative Party of Manitoba in the provincial constituency of Inkster. She was appointed Queen’s Counsel in 1965. The Roblin government appointed her a part-time judge of the Winnipeg juvenile and family court in 1968 and in 1975 Mary was appointed a judge responsible for the Provincial Judges’ Court of Winnipeg (North). She was very active in many Ukrainian Canadian organizations. The digitized material from the Mary Wawrykow fonds consists of photographs of Mary Wawrykow's family, of several Ukrainian women organizations, and of St. Joseph's Parish.